Skip to content

Driving license - New important rules

As of 1 January 2017, persons holding a Danish driving license, who do not have their habitual residence in Denmark, may no longer hand in applications for duplicate driving licenses or renewal of driving licenses to Danish missions abroad. Habitual residence means the country where the person stays at least 185 days in one calendar year. 

Danish driving licenses to persons living abroad

Persons holding a Danish driving license, who are on holiday abroad, but still have their habitual residence in Denmark are not affected by these new rules.

Therefore, as of 1 January 2017, all persons who have obtained a Danish driving license and who do not have habitual residence in Denmark, are referred to the police authorities in their country of residence to apply for a duplicate driving license or renewal of a driving license. In lieu of a valid Danish driving license, this can be done on the basis of a declaration from the Danish police authorities confirming the holder's driving rights. This declaration can be obtained by sending a written application to:

The National Commissioner of Police ("Rigspolitiet")
Administrationsafdelingen, Pas og Kørekort
Polititorvet 14
DK-1780 København V

The restriction does not apply to applications for an international driving license.  

International driving license

By showing a valid Danish driving license, completed application form and two passport photos, you can apply for an international driving license. The issuing is done in Denmark and takes approx. 4 weeks.

Malaysian driving license

According to information from the The Road Transport Department holders of Danish driving licenses do not need a Malaysian driving license but must be able to show the Danish driving license as well as a translation into English done by the Embassy of Denmark and signed by the Embassy of Denmark.

If you have any questions about Malaysian driving license please contact The Road Transport Department.